TPS families will see more benefits from Parents as Teachers thanks to several recent donations from local organizations. In the past few months, Topeka Public Schools Parents as Teachers has received more than $21,029 in funds that will expand the Quinton Heights PAT Lending Library, update the playground at Pine Ridge and help PAT further its goal to ensure families get the assistance they need. The organization contributions received are
· Aviva Corporation: $3,200 to purchase fitted coats and boot from Burlington Coat Factory for 33 children at the Pine Ridge site
· Junior League: donated 333 books with a value of $1,332 to expand the PAT Lending Library at Quinton Heights
· Kansas Gas Service Reach Program: donated $1,387 to help serve families in need
· Topeka Active 20.30 Club: awarded a grant of $5,110 to purchase an OAE Hearing Screening Device to use for annual hearing screenings
· United Way: $10,000 donated to update playground equipment, expand the Take Ten reading library, and install a Learning Trail at the Pine Ridge site
We want to sincerely thank all of these organizations and the dozens of others for their generosity, without which the Topeka Public Schools Parents as Teachers program couldn’t help over 600 families each year.
Submitted by TPS parent educator Leslie Petty